• Email
  • Print

Special Event Permit

Third Party Special Event PermitEnergy for Life Walk

 Whether you’re planning a parade, a festival, a 5K run or just a neighborhood block party, the City of Garland, TX would like to help you make your event possible. Some events need a permit, for example, if you are requesting a street closure, or planning to serve or sell alcohol.  Other events can make use of a pavilion rental in one of the City of Garland’s parks, or just show up in a park and have fun.

For assistance and additional information, please email, specialevents@garlandtx.gov

Do I Need a Permit for My Event?

Answering a few simple questions will help you determine if you need to apply for a Special Event Permit:


  • Will you be blocking or restricting public property?
  • Is the anticipated attendance 100 or more?
  • Will you be hosting your event at or near City Hall or the Downtown Square?
  • Will you have vendors at the event who are selling food or beverage, goods or services (i.e. fitness class/company)? Or do you plan to sell tickets for your event or sell other items at your event?
  • Will you be using amplified sound, other than a small, personal speaker for announcements?
  • Will your event close or change the traffic pattern of a street or alley? i.e. parades, street closures, 5K runs. 
  • Will your event impact the public use of City Park or natural resource?
  • Will your event consist of fireworks or animals?
  • Will you be using any temporary structures, like tents (larger than 20x20), bleachers, portable restrooms, blow up structures or stages?

If you answered "YES" to any of these questions, you will need to apply for and obtain a Third Party Special Event Permit.


Neighborhood Block Party

Block parties only need to be permitted through Building Inspections. Applicant is responsible for procuring City services at their own expense.

For more information, visit
neighborhood block party.


If you are planning an event, your special event application must be submitted no later than 45 business days (M-F) before your event. Larger events or events requesting City Services will require 60 business days, so please plan accordingly. Submission of an application does not guarantee permit issuance. 

Shelter and Facility Rentals

Park shelters, pavilions and Recreation Centers can be rented by contacting Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department at (972) 205-2750.  To rent the Grandville Arts Center or Atrium, call 972-205-2785. 

How do I apply?

Click here to review the application process and apply.

Contact Information

Special Events 
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts 
211 N. Fifth Street,
Garland, TX 75040