Newspapers and Magazines
Online Resource Tutorials
The Garland Libraries offer on how to use many of our online resources. Learn how to use Value Line, Mango Languages, Testing and Education Reference Center, Chilton Auto Repair and many more. Also included are tutorials on , , , , , , , and .
We have grouped several resource together to make them easier to find:
| || |
|Finance and Investments|
(Formerly Newspaper Source)
Newspaper Source Plus provides a full-text digital collection of the world's major news content. It includes millions of articles from newspapers, newswires and news magazines. In addition, it offers television and radio transcripts and ongoing daily updates from popular news sources.
- Full text for more than 1,200 newspapers
- More than 40 news magazines
- News from more than 130 newswires
- More than 77 million full-text articles
- More than 1.8 million television and radio news transcripts
Daily Updates with News View: ongoing updates throughout the day. Popular sources include:
- AP (Associated Press)
- CNN Wire
- PR Wire
- UPI (United Press International)
- Xinhua (China)
News View also includes television and radio news transcripts from top sources:
- ABC News (American)
- ABC (Australian)
- CBC (Canadian)
- CBS News
- CNN International
- FOX News
- National Public Radio
Newspaper Source Plus is also included in Explora.
A supplemental database for customers of Business Source Complete.
Features PDF content going back as far as 1887, with the majority of full-text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
Aim to cover all subjects and languages
This resource contains:
- Full-text periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more
- Full-text more than 500 reference books,
- Over 107,000 primary source documents,
- An Image Collection of over 510,000 photos, maps & flags,
- PDF backfiles (as far back as 1975) for key publications including American Libraries, Foreign Affairs, History Today, Judaism, Library Journal, National Review, Saturday Evening Post, etc.
- Can be checked out just like a digital books through OverDrive’s Libby app or from the
- Library’s OverDrive website and read in a user’s Internet browser.
- Check out is for 7 or 21 days and the magazines return themselves
- Magazines do not count towards the ten item checkout limit
- Magazine titles can be used simultaneously by more than one patron, so unlike digital books, there is never any waiting for a title
- Includes back issues (when available) beginning from our start date of January 2019
- Best viewed in the Libby app
- Patrons will need a valid, Garland library card
OverDrive Help & Support links:
- Search for answers and/or watch how-to videos
- Learn about Libby and how it works
- A snapshot of how popular devices can be used with OverDrive
- A site for determining if OverDrive is experiencing performance issues