- Do I have to be a U.S. citizen?
- How do I apply for a position with the City of Garland?
The City of Garland provides a web-based Career Center for posting available positions and accepting applications. View and apply to current job opportunities with the City of Garland. If you do not have internet access at home, you may apply in the Human Resources Department at City Hall or at a Garland Public Library location.
- Can I pick up an application now?
No, applications are only available online during the application period.
- Where can I pick up an application?
Applications are accepted online only.
- Do EMT/Paramedics get preference in the hiring process?
No, your score on the Civil Service test determines your ranking. However, certifications will serve as tie-breakers.
- Can I transfer my State Fire Certification from another state to Texas?
Yes. You can become certified through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection, but you will still have to go through the Garland Fire Department Academy.
- Will I get paid more if I have a degree?
Not initially. Garland does not require college hours to be employed. However, after you reach higher certifications with the State of Texas and have completed certain years of service, you can receive additional pay based on college hours and/or a degree.
- If I am already a certified firefighter will I have to go through firefighting training?
Yes, all recruits are required to complete the Garland Fire Academy.
- Do I have to be a certified Paramedic or Firefighter?
You must have a high school diploma or GED to be hired. If hired, you will be required to attend paramedic school and the fire academy. You must become certified as a condition of employment.
- Do you take applications throughout the year?
No. Applications are only accepted when a test date is established. If you wish to be notified, please complete an online profile.
- How can I obtain a copy of the Medical Report related to the time I was transported by the ambulance?
Simply fill the Emergency Medical Services Report Request 2013 (PDF). All HIPAA laws will be enforced. There is no charge associated with this request.
- Are all of the ambulances staffed with Paramedics?
Garland Fire Department ambulances are staffed with two certified Paramedics. All personnel in the Fire Department are, at a minimum, Certified Emergency Medical Technicians.
- Can I fill out a request and wait for my report?
No. When you fill out a request it is forwarded to the Custodian of Records. When the request is completed your records can be mailed, faxed or picked up at the fire administration office.
- Who do I contact to set up a program at my school or at the fire station for a group of kids or young adults?
The Fire Marshal's office sets up programs for:
- Homeowner Associations
- Other Organizations
You may email the Fire Inspection Division for Public Education or call 972-781-7148.
- Who do I contact for career day at my school or for a job fair?
You may email the recruiting division or call 972-781-7149.
- Does the Fire Department provide educational programs for businesses?
Yes, there are several programs for businesses. One of the most popular programs is the fire extinguisher simulator that instructs employees on how to use a fire extinguisher. This is a hands-on live demo. Call 972-781-7148 to find out more about this and other programs or email the Fire Department.